Monday, March 24, 2008

Momnesia

This weekend I went to the laundry room to start a load of whites, when I noticed the washer was standing wide open, full of water and the load of colors that I had started an hour or so before. On top of the dryer the messy pile of dirty burp cloths and blankets had been neatly folded for some inexplicable reason. I stuck my head out to ask Nathan and my brothers why they would have stopped the washer mid-cycle and neaten up the dirty laundry. Odd stares were the response I was given. Of course they had not gone into the laundry room. I had started the laundry and forgotten to close the lid and decided to fold the dirty pile on top of the dryer for no reason at all. I have no memory whatsoever of these occurrences.

Momnesia.

Andrew and I made a quick trip to the mall on Saturday to buy a shower gift for a friend. I also picked up a cute pair of shoes. On our way out to the car I realized my shoes were no longer in my hands. Where had they gone?

Momnesia.

I have been repeating myself, asking the same questions over and over and generally forgetting absolutely everything for the past few weeks. Good Morning America says there are actually scientific reasons new moms cannot keep it all together and they appropriately titled the ailment "momnesia". Thank goodness I'm not alone.

Now where is the baby?

2 comments:

DD said...

Ain't it the truth? And I'm sorry to say that your mind gets better, but never fully comes back. Oh well, at least children make a good excuse when you have momnesia, which feels like early-onset Alzheimer's. We love you anyway, Ma... And... Aus... What is your name again?

Anonymous said...

I love it!! We now have a new word for grammas forgetting things! Grammomnesia! I will now use this as my excuse for forgetting my mind!! Love the pictures! Brody is such a doll!! Can't wait to meet him!! Hope you are all doing well...
hugs,
Gayle and Wes Bridgeman
Grams and Granddad to Katie Lynn - a future buddy of Brody's!
(prior Coppell neighbors)